Sunday, August 18, 2013

The Note

"I've thought a lot about what you had to say, and I just wanted you to know that there are things about me that you don't know and that I think I am not right for you. If you still want to see me it's ok, but I just wanted to let you know how I feel. "
- handwritten note, November 20th, 1971
   Nevertheless, we did move in together. She was right. She wasn't the right person for me. It took me four years to figure it out. In matters of the heart, I have finally learned to take people at their word. They usually tell the truth. If they can't, you can usually see it pretty soon if you keep your wits about you. If they won't tell you how they feel, up front and honestly, they have other problems - lack of self-respect, lack of respect for others (empathy), maybe reality distortions (substance abuse and/or mental illness.) If you can have the same conversation over breakfast - cold sober, without make-up or frills - as you had the night before, with all the romantic trappings, then you will have a starting point.

   Sooner or later you'll have to face each other that way anyway.
"...tonight the light of love is in your eyes,
but will you love me tomorrow?"
- Goffin and King



Summer Re-run Series
First posted February 7, 2005

By Professor Batty


1 Comments:

Blogger Shoshanah Marohn said...

Dr. Batty has good relationship advice! Thanks for sharing.

Post a Comment

                                                                                     All original Flippism is the Key content copyright Stephen Charles Cowdery, 2004-2023