Sunday, March 23, 2014

I Heart Reykjavík Day Tours



   After a February without a single Icelandic-themed FITK post, March has already had three and now here is a fourth. Regular readers will no doubt be familiar with Auður Ösp, author of the fantastic I Heart Reykjavik website. Auður and I go waaaay back, I started following her internet escapades in January 2004, well before FITK was even a glimmer in the mad Professor's eye. Blogging then was still a frontier without much in the way of rules (formal or informal), clunky interfaces, lots of downtime, bad writing and bad typography. I was interested in (but not yet obsessed with) Iceland so I started following her personal blog, just to get an idea what living in Reykjavík was like from the point of view of an insider. At the time there weren't many good online resources (most of the Icelandic blogs were in Icelandic—no Google translate yet) and most of the tourist books were written by glib writers from the UK who really didn't seem to "get" Iceland at all. I did make a visit in late March of 2004, spending most of my time in Reykjavík proper. Although you could hardly call Auður's very personal blog a guide, it did start me thinking about Iceland in a new way.

   After I returned home I actually got up the nerve to start this blog (inspired by her example) and within a few months I began commenting on hers. She reciprocated and even went so far as to post here on occasion. But that was then, and this is now. Auður has started a walking-tour/photography service, I Heart Reykjavík Day Tours. Having spent an afternoon with her myself, I can feel confident in saying that you will not be disappointed if you sign up for one of her outings. Intelligent, articulate, funny, knowledgeable, and, most importantly, Auður really does love Reykjavík. To get a sense of her passion, check out this recent post concerning newly imposed fees for tourist sites in Iceland.

   Here's looking at you, Auður, best wishes on your new venture. You do Iceland proud.

By Professor Batty



1 Comments:

Blogger Jono said...

I do believe I would like to take a tour with her on the next trip. Her enthusiasm has always been evident.

Post a Comment