Monday, September 22, 2014

Adventures in Hi-Fi



   Alas! My venerable Marantz 1060 Integrated Amp has bit the dust. I'm almost afraid to open it up. I think the power transformer has gone bad; a prohibitively expensive repair. So, honoring my retro trend of recent months, I picked up the beauty pictured above, a RCA AM-FM Table Radio, Model 8R71, circa 1948. The power cord had disintegrated (common to electronics of that era) but it did have higher-quality vacuum tubes and, most importantly, an auxiliary input. One donated power cord and 20 cents worth of parts later it was back in business. The reception with the built-in antennas leaves a little to be desired, but is usable after it warms up for a while. I hooked it up to my CD player and was pleasantly surprised at the sound quality. I've only played "old music" on it so far, but it suits it: a little hum, the friendly odor of warm tubes, no deep bass or high treble, but with a balanced response and a phase coherence only achievable with a single speaker.  Perfect for background music.

   If those attributes weren't enough, this label on the bottom wraps it up nicely:

By Professor Batty



2 Comments:

Blogger Jono said...

NOOO! Not the Marantz! Mine is still cranking along. When the Cooker came out to the garage to tell me something I couldn't hear her. I sure will miss it when it's gone.


Blogger Mary said...

Oh, this is a beauty! Happy listening....

Post a Comment