Monday, September 29, 2014

Edit War

   My Wikipedian adventures are generally exceedingly tame: a removed comma, an added reference; perhaps the rephrasing of a sentence. This weekend I became involved with my first real edit war, on the main Halldór Laxness Wikipedia Page. My nemesis was an English as a second language Icelander, who, while meaning well, just didn't understand the language and Wikipedia guidelines well enough to to make a coherent contribution. I was polite but as the edits continued and his contribution became more and more convoluted the whole affair quickly reached the point of absurdity. The topper was when, on the talk page, he stated "I don't like to read Laxness that much in Icelandic, I'm not sure why I bother with his article…".

   Well! How does one properly respond to such a statement? Especially after the hundreds of hours that many people have put in on this page. A labor of love versus a labor of 'meh'? I did respond, however, and somewhat testily at that. I then made what I hope would be a satisfactory edit for all concerned.

UPDATE (Tuesday): My last edit 'held' and my rival actually added some corrections which were intelligible and referenced! There is still hope for humanity!

UPDATE (Wednesday): My response was evidently taken as a challenge. I deleted all my communications to this 'happy warrior' in the hope of ending this insanity.

UPDATE (Thursday): He's still trying to get a rise out of me.

FINAL UPDATE: No further responses. The lesson learned from this dust-up: Don't feed the trolls.

By Professor Batty



3 Comments:

Blogger Jono said...

I always figure if there is life, there is hope. That does seem like quite an undertaking.


Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like you are being trolled.


Blogger Shoshanah Lee Marohn said...

Good advice! I have trouble not feeding them, too.

Post a Comment