Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Kristín's Interview

My Icelandic correspondent Kristín took time out from her Wyrd existence to be so gracious as to pose these interview questions to me.

1) Why Iceland? What made you want to visit it?

-Literature, certainly. Besides Jules Verne's Journey, I had a copy of Independent People by Halldór Laxness. "Who are these strange people who happen to think, mope and brood the same way I do?", I said to myself after reading it. As a child, I was fascinated by the Ísland postage stamps in my collection. My first time there, when my wife and I went in 2000, I only had a short time for a spring break and got a good deal on one of the Icelandair packages (we stayed at the Hotel Borg!) When I returned last year, it was by myself, to photograph and be alone for a while. The Icelandic countryside in March is a very good place to be alone.

2) In comparison to other countries you've travelled to, how does Iceland rate?

I'm not much of an international traveller. I've only been to England and Scotland a few times, which I enjoyed very much, they were very pleasant and charming. Iceland is very severe and stunning. The people I met in Iceland were very intelligent and they all asked me: "Why Iceland?"

3) What is the greatest thing about America?

The ideals upon which it was founded.

4) What is the one aspect of your country that you dislike the most?

The hatred and intolerance upon which it was built. The American Civil War has never ended- the current international disgrace of the Bush policies is only a continuation of the old evil of elitism.

5) On your blog you mention that old clothes can become like ghosts. Do you believe in ghosts? Have you, or anyone you know, seen one?

In dreams, yes. As a sense of spirits, perhaps. Ghosts in real life, no.

6) Trains, planes or automobiles?

Trains in my part of the country are pretty much commodity freight movers, I like to hear their whistles at night when I'm half-alseep...Passenger jets are commodity people movers, although I did have one great flight...Automobiles are commodity petrol wasters, where I live it is almost an imperative to have one- due to lack of options. I really enjoy travel by bicycle or canoe.


If you would like to be interviewed by me, reply in the comments section, we'll see if we can keep this chain going.

By Professor Batty


3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent answers, mate. Very interesting what you said about the old evils of elitism.

And yes, we all ask 'Why Iceland?' because we are fascinated with what fascinates others about our country/culture. I guess it's navelgazing, in a way...


Blogger Comica said...

The professor has gone from lecturing/tutoring/observing to become a roving reporter as well? I'm in!


Blogger Alda said...

Very interesting! Thanks for the added insight.

Post a Comment

                                                                                     All original Flippism is the Key content copyright Stephen Charles Cowdery, 2004-2023