Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Somewhere Just A Little Bit Ahead of The Curve

“Can you tell me what music is? It's completely intangible. It's something you can't grasp. You see art, watch people dancing, but you have to give part of your life to hear music. It grips you, gets into your soul, the most sublime of all the arts... There's no logic to it at all.” - George Martin
A recurring theme at FITK has been promotion of various practitioners of Icelandic music. The Airwaves Music Festival was featured here, as were posts on Icelandic Musical Collectives and Sigur Rós.

Last week I finally got some time to listen to my recordings from the Airwaves festival and the best of them sounded every bit as good as I had remembered. I’m eagerly awaiting new releases from Ölóf Arnalds, Valgeir Sigurðsson and, of course, Björk (love the hair, btw). I’ve commented on Amiina’s Kurr  and have also purchased Jóhann Jóhannsson's User’s Manual. I recently read with pleasant surprise an article  in the New Yorker by Alex Ross, who name-checked several of the acts I’ve “discovered” recently. Mr. Ross is a great champion of new music, in all its guises, I find it most gratifying that I am not alone in my enthusiasms.

Augh! Lonely indeed is the voice of the prophet! A solitary figure trudging through a spiritual wilderness preaching salvation to the heathen and receiving only blank stares in recompense.

;-)

By Professor Batty


3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Ólöf Arnalds album is already here http://www.tonlist.com/ViewArtist.aspx?AuthorID=9167


Blogger Móðir, kona, meyja said...

Must. Have. That. Album.

Seriously.


Blogger Professor Batty said...

... I'm actually planning a big mail-order purchase from Smekkleysa when Valgeir's record comes out. Some of those artists I can get here, but there are many I cannot (i.e. Ölóf), not even through Amazon... I get the chills when I listen to her...

Post a Comment

                                                                                     All original Flippism is the Key content copyright Stephen Charles Cowdery, 2004-2023