Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Iceland Airwaves Update - Day One

Nothing like a hearty pub breakfast at Prikið to start the Iceland Airwaves 2009 music festival right! And if that wasn't enough, I added a little breakfast music to help my digestion:


Ultra Mega Technobandið Stefán

Delightful Pop-Punk, and the lead singer was so hot that he would stand outside between verses to cool off! After their brief set, I made it back to my apartment for a quick breather, then it was literally a 50 yard walk to the next show, a recital at Fríkirkjan, a 19th century church just outside my door:


Ljáðu Okkur Eyra

BEAUTIFUL! Then it was a quick dash to the pool, followed by the return of my rental bike, and over to Eymundsson's, a large bookseller. Just caught the end of Nóra's set- an airy confection of sugary pop, as sweet as cotton candy, with about as much substance- not that that is a bad thing! She was followed by My Summer as a Salvation Soldier, an earnest young Emo-style Folk singer, singing original songs of heartache and angst.

    

After a hearty(?) dinner (museli with a banana and a cup of coffee) I was ready to go for the first night at the main venues. Wednesday usually features the newer bands at the smaller venues. Grand Rokk had a full slate of new, original bands. The youngest (and perhaps newest) group at the Airwaves is Pascal Pinon, four girls who are all barely 15 years old:
This really wasn't the right venue for them, and they said as much in this interview. I'll be able to catch them in a more suitable auditorium setting on Saturday and I will give a detailed report then.

Útidúr, an eleven piece group, was the biggest surprise of the night. Wildly original, with Zappa-esque arrangements and even a little doo-woop thrown in. Great fun:



Going over to the big venue Nasa a young woman thought it would be hilarious if I posed for a picture with her. Afterward the picture was taken I told her: "Beware of older men, for they've lost their youth and are looking to steal yours!" She laughed and agreed completely.

By Professor Batty


1 Comments:

Anonymous BC said...

Cool. Make the most of it! It looks like Seattle's 90.3 KEXP is recording some sessions at Iceland Airwaves, although I don't think Kevin Cole is there. Check it out.

Post a Comment

                                                                                     All original Flippism is the Key content copyright Stephen Charles Cowdery, 2004-2023