Wednesday, November 04, 2009

The Corner Kitchen



When I'm trying to find a place in the old town part of Reykjavík, I just head in its general direction and wander around for awhile. I could use a map, but then I'd be looking at that, not at the world around me- what fun is that? I was searching for a place to eat and happened to see the above dwelling. Most of the houses in the city center are built right up to the sidewalk, and the dinner-time hour means that people are home and engaged in food preparation. Twilight is a special time anywhere, but in this city it is even more so. The warm glow of the homes' interiors is complimented by the dark blue skies, and the street lights reflect the patterns from the corrugated siding. This particular house had a window set at a 45° angle to the corner, evidently opening to the kitchen. As I passed the place a man was cooking in that window. What a stroke of genius (nerve?) to position the range and counter-top there! He definitely knew what he was doing and I can't help but think that he was a little proud of his nightly performance, and that he was happy to share it with the neighbors.

Thank you, gluggamatreiðslumaður.

By Professor Batty


1 Comments:

Blogger Darien Fisher-Duke said...

You are so considerate! Window chef indeed!

Post a Comment

                                                                                     All original Flippism is the Key content copyright Stephen Charles Cowdery, 2004-2023