Friday, May 14, 2010

Not Jim


Bárujárn, Reykjavík, 2009

In the calm before the strum, I had struck up a conversation with a local musician. I had seen her perform a lively set in this same building in 2006. She was curious about me: Why was I there? What were my interests in music? Why Flippism? We had a nice talk. She asked if I had done any recording. I mentioned that I had released a 45 in mid-seventies.

"What was it like?"

"It was horrible!"

"No, I mean what kind of music was it? Did it sound like any other group?"

"Well, I guess some people thought it sounded like the Doors..."

PBS ran a new documentary about that band last night. It was pretty good in capturing the smoky, greasy hedonism of that era- lots of vintage clips, mixed in with some modern re-enactments. It didn't glorify the band and it certainly showed the bad side of Jim Morrison, especially when he had been drinking. But the music itself remains as it was: neither rock nor jazz, not really blues either, sounding almost like a carnival or burlesque theater at times. The band as a whole was certainly greater than the sum of its parts. And Jim was beautiful and sexy and dark- he was the antithesis of the pop singers of the day. I never bought any Doors records, I didn't need to- their music was everywhere, I knew most of the songs by heart. That record which I had made in 1976 may have been an unconscious emulation of the Doors, although my dark days had been several years earlier- at just about the same time that Jim was on his downward spiral:

By Professor Batty



8 Comments:

Anonymous Andy said...

I have that record...


Blogger Professor Batty said...

Uh Oh...


Blogger heida said...

ooo, líke the photo!


Blogger Professor Batty said...

Heida ~ you were there!


Anonymous Jon said...

"When the music's over, turn out the lights" - just sayin'.

Is that too dark?


Blogger Professor Batty said...

Jon ~ I want to hear the scream of the butterfly...


Blogger Rose said...

Ha! Batty. Time to grow that hair again!


Blogger Professor Batty said...

The spirit is willing but the follicles are weak!

Post a Comment