Monday, November 28, 2011

Après-Ski, Central Minnesota, circa 1920


Gunilla Bergman, unk., unk., Charles Anderson.     Photo by Oscar Anderson

My grandparents and friends on a chilly day in central Minnesota. It is strange to see them as young people- my earliest memories of them was when they were in their late 50's, already well weathered from lives of hard labor. The awkward posing hints that this was not a candid picture, although why the women were crouching is not clear. The dour expression of my grandfather seldom left his face, while my grandmother was a far more cheerful soul than this picture suggests. It may have had to do with the fact that the photographer was my grandfather's brother, who had a reputation of being a ne'er-do-well. I remember him as a sick old bachelor who lived on coffee and Snús.

My mother's greatest fear was that I would end up like him.

By Professor Batty


4 Comments:

Blogger Minnesotastan said...

Would that have been around the St. Cloud/Little Falls region - if you don't mind my asking?


Blogger Professor Batty said...

You just about hit it on the nose Stan. The lived in various parts of Morrison county, I think this was near Upsala or Holdingford.


Blogger Minnesotastan said...

I've driven through that area many times on my way from the cities to Cass County/Walker. Good memories. I'm glad you posted the photo.

Over and out.


Blogger kindredband said...

"My mother's greatest fear was that I would end up like him."
Do you mean Grandpa? or his brother? or both? What an outstanding picture.

Post a Comment

                                                                                     All original Flippism is the Key content copyright Stephen Charles Cowdery, 2004-2023