Thursday, January 12, 2012

Trash


Minneapolis, 1978

I had been living in a small house for years, renting it from an agreeable Mexican landlord who lived next door. One day he moved out and asked us if I would like to rent both houses. Knowing several people who were looking for affordable housing, I said yes without hesitation. After the landlord moved out, we quickly got a group of people together and settled in. This shed was in the back of the lot. The landlord said to use whatever I wanted from it. It was packed with boxes and cans, old wood, appliances, even a barrel of umbrellas. But the roof had been leaky for some time and everything in it was rusted, moldy or decayed.

I just ignored it for a while, but when the kids started to come it obviously had to go. So we knocked it down, got some dumpsters, filled them and had them haul it all away. We planted a nice flower garden where the shed stood and gradually the place actually became pretty nice. I was surprised at the difference. It is one thing to have a picturesque building to photograph. It is quite another to live with what was essentially a big pile of trash. I had been getting down on myself and my lot in life for a while; getting rid of this junk made a big difference in my outlook.

By Professor Batty



4 Comments:

Anonymous NormanLake said...

Thanx a lot, NOW I have to clean my garage. I have procrastinated, but winter is coming, finally in earnest to Northeastern Michigan, with a storm front slated to bring the weather we have been spared, so far.


Blogger Professor Batty said...

Grasshopper and the ant...


Anonymous NormanLake said...

Today i can finally get the car in the previously inaccessible garage, so thank you, mr. Professor Batty. You gave me the push i needed. Of course, i had to chevelle a ton of snow to get the car in.


Blogger Zelmarific said...

Just cleaned out the upstairs bedroom, myself. I noticed once the junk was out that it was sunny and nice up there. In the back of the closet I had found an old quilt I made, an inspiration from Van Gogh's Sunflowers and Starry Night, combined. I had kept it hidden after no one wanted to buy it on Etsy. But then I put it up, and it looked great. Made me feel so much better. Why was I keeping that in the back of a closet?

Post a Comment