Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Imagine...

Yoko Ono and Lady Gaga were in town, Yoko gave Lady G an award in a private ceremony in the new Harpa hall on the waterfront (I was not invited):



I explored the inside of the hall- the construction of the windows is a thing to behold:



I spent some time on the Seltjarnarnes peninsula, and went to the salt-water pool there. My swimming pass wouldn't work, the attendant laughed and said "That's for the city pools, you're in the country now!" The pool was very nice indeed, although I'm not big on the way salt water feels on my skin.

The evening, of course, was Yoko's. She lights the Imagine Peace Tower every year on this date, the date of John Lennon's birth, and it remains lit until the anniversary of his death in December. It was somewhat controversial when it opened in 2007, but the city residents seemed to enjoy its presence and it is now also lit at Christmas and New Years. The only complication for me was that I had to take a dreaded ferry to Viðey island, where the light is and the ceremony took place. There was a nice big tour boat at the ferry, but it left just before I got in line. I ended up on a tiny ferry, about the same size as the boat which sank in Djupið. I shared a seat with some freelance photographers, I sensed the trip wasn't as big a thrill for them as it was for me:



There were thousands of people on the island and Yoko did appear, undaunted by the light rain, with sincere greetings to the crowd and the world at large:



The tower was lit a section at a time, while John's Imagine played. It was very nice:



Afterwards we all stood around waiting for the ferries, on the trip back (on the big ferry) I did meet some scouts from Georgia (not the US state.) A nice end to a memorable night.

By Professor Batty


4 Comments:

Blogger Darien Fisher-Duke said...

You survived! See, ferrys are SAFE!
The windows are beautiful. Who on earth cleans them? And how?


Blogger Professor Batty said...

The small ferry was definitely not safe~ Yoko's "spirit's" protected us.

Elves clean the windows.


Blogger Jono said...

It would be an event to remember for me. Anyone else using Pentax or just Canikon?


Blogger Professor Batty said...

Just Canon. I saw a few people with film cameras around town.

Post a Comment

                                                                                     All original Flippism is the Key content copyright Stephen Charles Cowdery, 2004-2024