Friday, April 01, 2016

Green Lake


Young Batty, Minneapolis, c.1970

No fooling.

An integral part of my lost years, "Green Lake" was a pit of caustic lime, a byproduct of an air reduction service which operated in North Minneapolis for many years. People would dump tires in the alkaline lake, earning the name of "The Tire Farm." It was located close to the Mississippi River, with subsidized housing and lots of kids living nearby. It was their nearest playground. It was finally drained and filled in the late 70s. I-94 runs through where it was now.



I spent a good deal of time there, it was my "gateway to nature", no wonder I was so depressed!

By Professor Batty


1 Comments:

Blogger Jono said...

Tires must be the original invasive species. I still find them around the farm, too.

Post a Comment

                                                                                     All original Flippism is the Key content copyright Stephen Charles Cowdery, 2004-2023