Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Great Minds Think Alike

Lately, I’ve been reading a massive 5 volume collection of the writings of Frank Lloyd Wright, 1894-1959. As you can imagine, it contains numerous insights, beliefs and other interesting tidbits. As I was working my way through volume 4, I found this picture:


Photograph by Deiner

It is a pleasant, if somewhat stiff, shot of Frank and his third wife, Olgivanna. The thing that really caught my attention, however, was on the book shelf behind Mr. and Mrs. Wright. Almost exactly between the couple, on the top shelf, sat a dark book with a distinctive, 5-stripe design above a cartoon figure on its spine :



Where had I seen that before?



After 1903—What?, is a collection of short essays by the humorist Robert Benchley.  I’ve featured the book’s sublime illustrations (by Gluyas Williams) here a couple of times. The book, as a whole, is only sporadically funny today; it was a whole different world back then.

At any rate, I’ll take the coincidence as proof of the noble spirit I share with FLLW.

By Professor Batty


9 Comments:

Blogger oroboros said...

If you haven't read T C Boyles *The Women* you might give it a look.


Blogger Professor Batty said...

I read it when it came out, I've been on a FLLW binge for a while now. I like the fact that Boyle actually lives in a Wright house!


Blogger Jono said...

Synchronicity at its finest!


Anonymous Dave said...

And a strong resemblance between FLW and the Professor himself!


Blogger Professor Batty said...

Oh dear…


Anonymous Shoshanah said...

You are clearly wiser than FLW in your personal matters, although you share his genius taste in literature. -Mindless Swami Minion 2703


Blogger Professor Batty said...

My home-wrecking abilities are definitely not up to Frank's standards.


Anonymous shoshanah said...

Perhaps that's a good thing?


Blogger Professor Batty said...

Don't let the green grass fool you!

Post a Comment

                                                                                     All original Flippism is the Key content copyright Stephen Charles Cowdery, 2004-2023