Friday, December 30, 2016

Year-end Inspirations


Crackpot                                                       Pine-paneled garret                                          Inspirations

2016!

Need I say more?

This year-end post won’t wallow in the mire of politics, nor will it memorialize celebs that have gone on, prematurely or not. Instead, let me celebrate the good that has come out of this increasingly anachronistic enterprise—Flippism is the Key. I know many pundits have declared that “Blogs are Dead”, but they still exist: attended by furtive, fuzzy-sweater wearing crackpots who have, in their pine-paneled garrets, been erecting shrines to their virtual obsessions.

I wouldn’t have it any other way.

As you may have noticed, I’ve been “dumping” my Icelandic images and stories here lately—I’m stopping my Icelandic coverage. Twelve years is enough; the well has gone dry.  A wild ride, especially when I think of all the people I’ve interacted with on FITK and my literary site, Laxness in Translation, both in Iceland and around the world. All the FITK Icelandic-themed posts will remain, of course, as a sub-archive of one man’s infatuation.

I’ll be starting a new “Friday Fiction Feature” next week: an open-ended, loosely structured work, more experimental in nature, for people who actually read. The episodes are intended to stand on their own, but there will be recurring characters and a rudimentary plot. FITK will still feature pictures, more illustrative than realistic, perhaps even a return of some new Sharon Spotbottom. Less facts, more fun. Finally, what would a year-end wrap-up be with mentioning those who have inspired me all year long?

Jono, the Horse Whisperer of Grand Marais, doing what needs to be done.

Annie from Wales, Ireland, and Iceland. Consorts with Wes Anderson, Steven Spielberg, and her new baby.

Bob, the Scottish Scientist, master of all knowledge and pub quizzes.

Gemma from Seattle, writer and Iceland-nut.

Jófríður, unstoppable force of nature.

Karen from Richmond, hired mouth supreme.

Sheila, master culture vulture.

Minnesotastan, intelligent trivia pursuer.

Caitlin, memento mori fine artist.

Rich, who has been an inspiration for over fifty years!

And, of course, Shoshanah, the pride of Mount Horeb, artist, writer, shepherdess, supermom, exquisite rascal and all-around bon-vivant.

See you next year!



By Professor Batty


5 Comments:

Blogger oroboros said...

It's been a fun ride! Looking forward to the new direction, Prof. Happy New Year, amigo.


Blogger Jono said...

Quite an eclectic group you have there! I might need to refer to this list just to keep both of my brain cells active. It is a good thing to do at this age.

Anticipating, as always, the stuff that comes out of your fertile mind.

P.S. I have Altoids on my desk at this very moment.


Blogger Professor Batty said...

Thanks guys! The Altoids tin is, like my brain, empty.


Anonymous Shoshanah said...

I can't wait to read the first installment!

How is my self portrait on your laptop? I didn't even know that was on line.

Happy New Year!


Blogger Professor Batty said...

SLM~ I ran across it somewhere, quite a while ago. Maybe your "art page"?

Happy new year to you, too.

Post a Comment

                                                                                     All original Flippism is the Key content copyright Stephen Charles Cowdery, 2004-2023