Friday, June 25, 2021

Planned Unobsolescence

This Blogger has finally upgraded his equipment.

I have been using a MacBook Pro, the de facto standard for non-techie creatives, since 2013. It has served me well, but is starting to show its age: the keyboard is wearing out, all of the ports are getting loose, and it is near the end of its upgradability with newer operating systems. Its convenience and versatility was commendable, but when I heard of the new Apple M1 silicon chip processor and its performance gains, and that it would be compatible with MacOS for the foreseeable future, and it was in a sleek iMac form, I had to spring for one. It lives up to the hype. With the addition of a hub and a SSD I won’t have to keep plugging and unplugging my peripheral devices, and my photo editing is a breeze.

At the risk of coming across as an Apple fan-boy, and I’m not enamored of every Apple device (anyone want to buy an iPad mini?), but I will state that Apple has come a long way since the 10" Macbook laptop (with a dial-up modem!) I was using when I started this Flippist Nonsense scholarly endeavor.

By Professor Batty


2 Comments:

Blogger jono said...

Always wanted to try Apple, but when it came time to replace the old PC the extra cash was always a problem. I do have a friend who will let me play with her Apples if I ask nicely. It would give me a chance to really evaluate the Apple idea.


Blogger Professor Batty said...

From what I’ve read the M1 processors will outperform Intel ones in PC emulation mode.

That said, I don't think the difference in performance justifies replacing a perfectly good PC.

Post a Comment

                                                                                     All original Flippism is the Key content copyright Stephen Charles Cowdery, 2004-2023