Monday, June 12, 2023

Midnight Snacks

Chapter 24 of Search For a Dancer, a memoir of a week spent in Iceland in November 2022

It was nearly midnight by the time I left the cabaret. Seeing all that exposed flesh in the burlesque acts had made me hungry.
Is any food more Freudian than a hotdog? Available 24/7 at the Bæjarins Beztu Pylsur stand, right on the way to the art museum. Even at midnight you’ll have to wait in line:
After partaking of this toothsome comestible, I went into the art gallery venue. A Turkish delight was to be had there in the folk-rock stylings of Altin Gün:
Rocked-up traditional Turkish tunes, with a great singer and a killer electric bouzouki player. The real deal, albeit in a strange pearls-before-swine situation; a jaded crowd in an Icelandic music festival  might not be the best venue for them; a wedding dance scenario would be perfect. You can catch their whole act here (at a different festival):



Keeping with the food metaphors, I went back to Gamla Bíó for some tasty HAM:
Salty veterans of the Icelandic music scene, going back to the 70s: meaty, beaty, big and bouncy. They are older but still untamed, with the scary Óttarr Proppé growling out the vocals:



Looking down from the balcony, the churning crowd reminded me of Brownian motion of germs under a microscope. With the threat of Covid still lurking around, I was wary of joining the throng in the mosh pit, although I did stay to the end (in the balcony). After getting back to the apartment I unwound a while with a glass of red and the last of my harðfiskur. It was after 2 a.m. by the time I got to sleep.


Search for a Dancer Index…

By Professor Batty


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

                                                                                     All original Flippism is the Key content copyright Stephen Charles Cowdery, 2004-2023