Saturday, September 11, 2004

Northside Ethos

I grew up on the Northside of Minneapolis, a general mix of working-class households of varying ethnic backgrounds.

As I went out into the world, one of the first things I learned was not to tell people where I was from. It could get a little testy if you did, there would always be a cutting remark or a slur, and then you had to either: shut up and take it, leave, or fight.
At a friend's bonfire last night, I was talking to his wife, who I knew only slightly. She had been talking about her background, and the struggles she had had growing up. At one point, I stopped her. "Northside, right?" I saw that Nrthside ethos flash in her eyes, a chippy-ness that you had to have to survive. We understood each other perfectly in that moment.

The Northside has changed, even a wilder mix of peoples and cultures, still some of the same problems, still good things happening in spite of them.

If the Northside didn’t break you, it made you stronger.

By Professor Batty


1 Comments:

Blogger Professor Batty said...

Wow! Instant Blogger! It took me weeks to work up enough nerve to do this. I was fun last night, I met quite a few interesting people...I had no idea you were a Northsider! (But now that I look back on it, it fits.)

Post a Comment

                                                                                     All original Flippism is the Key content copyright Stephen Charles Cowdery, 2004-2023