Monday, November 15, 2004

Sugar Cookies

I live with a weaver. It makes for an interesting house, full of looms and strange mechanical contraptions for winding thread and yarn. Bushels and bushels of yarn. The weaver makes things with this yarn and once in a while has a sale, along with other crafters, in time for the holiday season. This sale started 20 years ago, and has grown every year since. Part of the requirements is that you bring five dozen ‘Home Made’ cookies. Store-bought not allowed.

Well, as you can imagine, this is the sort of thing that you don’t have time for if you are trying to get your crafted items ready for the sale. Guess who will make the cookies?  It is time to put away my mortarboard and don a baker’s hat. I have my sainted grandmother's sugar cookie recipe, written in her own hand, as my guide. I’ve made them before, they are pretty good, but not quite my grandmother’s. She could whip those out using a wood stove, no timer, no thermostat, no problem. I will completely destroy my kitchen, and hopefully not burn too many. But if I can capture a little of my grand mother’s magic (and she probably got the recipe from Betty Crocker, personally!) then my contribution will be a success.

By Professor Batty


1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Will you bring me some? PLEASE

Post a Comment

                                                                                     All original Flippism is the Key content copyright Stephen Charles Cowdery, 2004-2023