Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Swedish Pancakes

If we were good, when we stayed overnight at Grandma’s house we would have Swedish Pancakes for breakfast. The farmhouse she lived in only had heat in the kitchen and living room; the ‘cold parlor’ next to the kitchen led to a nearly vertical staircase to the attic which was connected to two small bedrooms. In the morning would wake up, hop out of our toasty beds onto the cold linoleum floor, quickly dress and then scurry down to the warmth of the kitchen. The griddle would already be lightly smoking when we entered. The wood stove she cooked on would occasionally make a crackling or hissing sound, as if it were laboring under duress. She ladled out the thin batter just so, paper-thin. When done, the crepe-like pancakes would be buttered, rolled and doused with maple syrup.

The pancakes were heavenly. My grandmother would sometimes smile at us children as we ate for reasons we didn’t understand. Now that I am approaching the age that my grandmother was then, I also occasionally smile at children for my own mysterious reasons.

By Professor Batty


4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We call these Icelandic pancakes and consider it very decadent to have them for breakfast. We serve them with coffee in the afternoon, rolled up with sugar or blueberry jam and whipped cream.

I wish I had heeded my mother's advice and taken my pancake pan with me to England...

Kristín


Blogger Little Miss Loopy said...

My mother makes the best pancakes ever. I don't know how to make them though, mine always end up burned and way to thick. mmm... pancakes.


Blogger Professor Batty said...

My Grandmother was Swedish, so I guess anything she made up could have been labeled as such. I have also tried to emulate her with the same results as LML. The idea of my grandmother doing something decadent is most amusing...


Blogger Comica said...

Mmmm...I miss eating my mother's homemade pancakes.

Gawrsh, I'm hungry now! It's too bad the dining hall is closed. I usually make VCU brand waffles there.

Post a Comment

                                                                                     All original Flippism is the Key content copyright Stephen Charles Cowdery, 2004-2023