Monday, July 11, 2005

Endless Loop

In southern Minnesota is a quaint burg that calls itself "Bandtown USA." It does have a museum of band music (brass and marching) that may be the largest in the world. It does have a town band, and I was there in time to catch a concert. A band shell in the park on a beautiful summer's eve. There isn't any scene of small town Americana better than that.

You can also be sure that you are going to hear The Colonel Bogey March, God Bless America,and Stars and Stripes Forever. They gave it a shot, but it's hard for a part time band to play with any precision. As I sat listening, I mused over the many band concerts I've attended. I have always heard these exact same tunes at each one. Tradition has its place, but we're talking endless loop here. In this situation, they have access to thousands of scores, right in town, yet they play only a handful of chestnuts.

Later, winding down at the hotel, I surfed the cable box. There, on the local access channel, was the concert I attended that night. A strange hypnotic fascination compelled me to experience it again.

I have an uneasy feeling that it won't be the last time, either.

By Professor Batty


1 Comments:

Blogger lab munkay said...

I love it when the audience begans nodding with afirmation at the begining of these few classics. Not that they aprove of them as much as, "Hey I reconize that song."

Post a Comment

                                                                                     All original Flippism is the Key content copyright Stephen Charles Cowdery, 2004-2023