Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Boney Maronie

"I got a gal named Boney Maronie,
she's as skinny as a stick of macaroni."
-Larry Williams

As a long term resident of Rock 'n Roll heaven, the poetics of Mr. Williams are beyond reproach. A bittersweet part of remembering my youth is the realization that time is an irreversible arrow. Those youthful figures and optimism contained within them has been tempered, to put it gently. I had never "got a gal" in high school, that probably explains why most of the women who I meet that I knew then actually like me a little! (or perhaps they are just being kind- it doesn't matter- I'll accept either sentiment.)

There was one girl though, Jeanie with the dark brown hair, who was just about as skinny as the aforementioned pasta, and we shared a drama class. We ended up cast as lovers in a school production of the one act play Bury the Dead by Irwin Shaw. We were playing roles that were way over our heads, yet Jeanie seemed to really enjoy rehearsing, especially when it came to the part where we held and caressed each other. I was just about crawling out of my skin, but I managed to stay cool.

Years later, we met at a holiday dance, and we ended up in each others arms again. We were both a little more substantial, but it didn't matter, it was as if the intervening years has dissipated completely. The band was "The Del Counts", a venerable local institution (they have been playing in some form or another for over 40 years.) The song they were playing was "Then You Can Tell Me Goodbye.
I began singing it to her. She smiled, and moved my hands from her back to a place somewhat lower. The song ended, and we both smiled.

And then she was gone. You can't live in the past, but if you are especially fortunate, you can be allowed a brief visit once in a while.

Kiss me each morning for a million years
Hold me each evening by your side
Tell me you love me for a million years
Then if it don't work out
If it don't work out
Then you can tell me goodbye

Sweeten my coffee with a morning kiss
Soften my dreams with your sigh
Tell me you love me for a million years
Then if it don't work out
If it don't work out
Then you can tell me goodbye

If you must go I won't grieve
If you wait a lifetime
Before you leave

Then if you must go- I won't tell you no
Just so that we can say we tried
Tell me you love me for a million years
Then if it don't work out
If it don't work out
Then you can tell me goodbye

-John D. Loudermilk

By Professor Batty


1 Comments:

Blogger Iceland Eyes said...

Beautiful words...

Post a Comment

                                                                                     All original Flippism is the Key content copyright Stephen Charles Cowdery, 2004-2023