Friday, January 13, 2006

Walking To Iceland

The last few weeks... have been somewhat tumultuous in the otherwise cloistered world of P. Batty. Perhaps it is just the winter blues, or the cycles of the moon (it's full tonight), or the changing work duties that have beset me in my other, secret life.

Today... the business section of the paper had a blurb about the MSP airport losing airlines..."Icelandair has discontinued service earlier this week..." Groan! And I had just gotten enough credit card points for a round-trip! Granted, I could fly to New York or Baltimore and connect there, but that would add a lot of money and time to what is otherwise a direct flight.

Batty's dream... Some day I will walk to Iceland. There may soon be train service from my small town to the airport. The station will be a few blocks away, close enough to get to by foot. I will step out my back door, hike to the station, board a train and about an hour later enter the airport. The flight takes about five and a half hours, and the Flybus will drop me off at my guesthouse. When it is time to go home, I do the same in reverse. No driving. No car. No hassle.

No way? ...Fortunately, I researched the situation further, and found that the flight suspension is only temporary- for two months in the slow season. The dream is still a possibility (ok, I could drive to the airport if I really had to), I'll make it back someday.

By Professor Batty


5 Comments:

Blogger Little Miss Loopy said...

If you do, make sure you look me up!


Blogger Mo'a said...

Thank You for stopping by on my blog. It is always good to meet someone that has a passion for Iceland. In 1994 I had the pleasure of having a one person/woman show in Iceland....taking my art back to my homeland was a pleasure beyond measure.


Blogger Professor Batty said...

...Little Miss Loopy, it would be a pleasure, indeed...


Blogger Supermouse said...

I came by this entry on a google search for "Walking to Iceland", for today I have been stricken by a similar urge. Mine is in response to learning of Sveinbjörn Beinteinsson. I have an urge to travel by foot and boat only, from Bolton to the ferry at Hull, or up through the east of Scotland, by some route to Scandinavia and thence by boat to Iceland itself. It's entirely impractical, of course, but who knows? It could happen.


Blogger Professor Batty said...

Supermouse- nice of you to comment! I still have dreams of Iceland, after having been there three times. A good place for walking (if you don't mind the occasional gale)...

Post a Comment

                                                                                     All original Flippism is the Key content copyright Stephen Charles Cowdery, 2004-2023