Sunday, February 26, 2006

Ugly American Pt. II

These Olympic Games have not been among the USA's finest hours. Rancor and discord have occasionally been a part of this endeavor, but this time brought arrogance to the fore. People in other parts of the world have probably been spared to spectacle of Bode Miller.com. The self-promoting, self-destructing skier has blanketed the US media with hype. While other athletes have toiled and trained in anonymity and gone to the Olympics on a shoestring, Bode promoted himself (TV ads!) and lived the high life, and then failed to contend. That is ok, anyone can have a bad day. Week. Fortnight.

The irritating thing about it is that other competitors, who have prevailed, have been nearly ignored, in deference to BM. The US Curling team, a group of friends from Bemidji, Minnesota won the first ever medal for a US team in that sport. The Minneapolis paper's sports headline and full half page story? Local boys make good? Plucky curlers "rock" Torino? Think again. Always Bode. Every day, for over two weeks. National news? Interview with Bode.

The U.S. television ratings for these Olympics have been abysmal. People may be gullible at times, but they can smell something rotten, and this mess stinks.

By Professor Batty


3 Comments:

Blogger Iceland Eyes said...

Having watched from Iceland, I have no idea who this Bode character is, and though I'm curious enought to google him the way that you wrote about him makes me think ahead of time that I'm glad I missed his hype. I avoided the whole OJ thing by being here (aside from bits and highlights in the papers and on Icelandic tv) and I missed the majority of the 911 coverage. I'm very Ok with that!


Blogger Iceland Eyes said...

By the way, I have a pair of Addidas tennies that are the same color scheme as your blog site Always reminds me of a wee sleekit mousey!


Blogger Professor Batty said...

...that's the nicest thing anyone has ever said about my template!

Post a Comment

                                                                                     All original Flippism is the Key content copyright Stephen Charles Cowdery, 2004-2023