Saturday, March 25, 2006

The Woodshed



This was part of my grandparents' barn, which in itself was a combination garage/chicken coop/outhouse/hayloft/cowbarn and, added on to the south side, this woodshed. The cows were long gone, the chickens were gone by the time I turned 8 or 9, but the barn remained an endless source of fascination for this city-boy. When I got older, I would spend a good deal of time there, splitting wood to be used in the cookstove. To be among those rough, hand hewn timbers, with the smell of the freshly split wood filling my nostrils, and having my grandfather's time-worn tools hanging about me- it was as if I had entered into a different world, far away from the "modern" life I lived at home.

By Professor Batty


2 Comments:

Blogger Lady of the lake said...

And this was only from 1970? I thought the photo looked to be from the early 1900's. I can't even imagine what it must have been like. The smells, the feel of the wood etc. Great photo, great post.


Blogger kindredband said...

Amazing. The smell just came back to me.

Post a Comment

                                                                                     All original Flippism is the Key content copyright Stephen Charles Cowdery, 2004-2023