Wednesday, April 19, 2006

An Orangutan with a Helmet


Forty feet between me and Mother Earth. The wind was blowing and the rain had just started, thus the pole was slippery and wet. Miss V, the facilitator, had stated a few moments ago, "If you're nervous, the pole will shake, so don't be!"
I didn't trust the harness, and come to think of it, I couldn't feel it. In order to calm my nerves, I began to sing:

Sometimes I feel I've got to
Run away I've got to
Get away
From the pain that you drive into the heart of me
The love we share
Seems to go nowhere
And I've lost my light
For I toss and turn I can't sleep at night

Once I ran to you (I ran)
Now I'll run from you
This tainted love you've given
I give you all a boy could give you
Take my tears and that's not nearly all
Oh...tainted love
Tainted love...


My fellow participants revelled in my attempt at courage and sang along down below where they were safe. The purpose of the exercise was to challenge ourselves (obviously). I certainly did that, given the fact that falling from a great height is an uncomfortable notion to me. I attempted to stand on top of the pole, but I fell and had a Peter Pan moment.

However, I'm quite proud of what I did. I nearly didn't go through with it, but thanks to Soft Cell, I made it!

By Comica


1 Comments:

Blogger lab munkay said...

"Flag Pole Sitta", by Harvey Dangers is what came to my mind before I read your story. Congradulations on your climb.

Post a Comment

                                                                                     All original Flippism is the Key content copyright Stephen Charles Cowdery, 2004-2023