Tuesday, July 25, 2006

It feels like I'm home, the way this place smells of the sea.

Right from when Delhi became a maze of red, white, and blue dots from the plane window to now my impression of Chennai has been that this city is chock-full - and I mean that in the most positive way - of helpful people. My co-passenger on the plane was a Rotarian entrepreneur who game me his business card and invited me to dinner with his family. When I was stumbling under the weight of my suitcases, another guy appeared out of nowhere, and helped me with the trolley, wheeled it till the car, and smiled graciously while I mumbled an inadequate thank you.

Yes, each and every person I have met so far has only been eager to help, smiled patiently as I have first blurted something in Hindi and then gone on to English, and has tried to make my life better in whatever way they can. But I'll have to be careful. My friend warned me over last night's dinner of Fish Kuzhambu (pronounce Kolambo) and rice, "All the men will fawn over you, but you'll have to distinguish between affection and lechery."

I am living in the company guest house in a place called Thiruvanmayur. It is a huge farmhouse, with mango trees and chickens in the garden. In fact when my HR manager said, "Don't be in a hurry to look for a house, you can stay in the guest house for as long as you want," I could weep tears of gratitude.

I haven't seen much of the city yet. I know Mount Road, which is like the Ring Road of Delhi, and pretty much connects all important places in Chennai. I have seen the Saidapet bus stand. I have seen IIT Madras. And I saw TIDEL Park, which is really impressive, in that it houses about twenty software companies, and has a book store and a foodmart and what not.

I totally love my office people. Working here's going to be easy and friendly I think. I know. My cubicle is another story people! I am on the seventh floor and right beside a glass window. While I type this, I look out and see a lot of Chennai - houses, roads, and a lot of coconut trees.

So overall, I'm good. I'm happy. I'm a bit of alright, really. And yes, the blog continues.

~RS
February, 2005
Used With Permission

By Professor Batty


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

                                                                                     All original Flippism is the Key content copyright Stephen Charles Cowdery, 2004-2023