Monday, December 11, 2006

When I Paint My Masterpiece

study

The blank canvas, a symbol of artistic aspirations unfulfilled. Nothing more is needed, the paints and brushes are stored below the easel, inspiration is plentiful, what keeps the image from appearing?

As a young child, I had no such qualms when it came to decorating the neighbor's garage in crayola- on stucco no less! As a youth, I thought nothing of whipping out a 5 by 7 foot painting on unbleached muslin (where did that end up?)

But as for now, nothing. The easel has been up, mocking me, for months. I'll start after the holidays I tell myself, and I may be telling myself the truth. What gremlin in my brain has put a monkey wrench on my creative output?

By Professor Batty


5 Comments:

Blogger Comica said...

There's nothing like the exhileration of having that blank canvas and thinking, "I'm going to create such a masterpiece!"

I once did the same in an attempt to paint something for a friend's birthday present.

The end result was a blue stick figure man waving his arms about. Oh, how I wish I was jesting!

May your end result come out a bit better than mine did, and if you find yourself with a fellow stick figure, make sure he's dancing (or at least doing something more interesting than waving his arms about)!


Blogger Unknown said...

My favorite way of starting a painting (after 30 years of practice) is without a preconcieved image. Splashing paint, or making random marks - even with eyes closed or head turned - invites playful invention. Rags, fingers, paper scraps, breath and gravity are all terrific painting tools too. Have fun Professor!


Blogger Professor Batty said...

...of course my stick figure would have to be purple!


Blogger Comica said...

Yay! Less is more! Stick figures for everyone!


Blogger Professor Batty said...

...may I have this dance?

Post a Comment

                                                                                     All original Flippism is the Key content copyright Stephen Charles Cowdery, 2004-2023