Friday, February 23, 2007

Discontent Pt. II - Voodoo Spell Broken?

I think I've figured it out. There's been a curse on me. A voodoo doll, in the form of a flat white and chrome rectangle, has been plaguing me for months. I mentioned my Christmas iPod in an earlier post, now I'm beginning to believe that it is Steve Jobs (and not Bill Gates) who is the devil incarnate. A little box o' hedonistic pop culture, always there to fill my every waking moment (or sleeping one!) With its nasty little ear plugs, and its tiny screen (people actually watch movies on them?) it almost makes me nostalgic for my seven transistor Sony radio, circa 1962 and the old Quasar Color TV ("works in a drawer!")

It was a gift, a heartfelt one from my favorite person in the whole world, but as I sat unhappily twiddling with it tonight, I had to tell her: "I appreciate the thought honey, but I just don't get it... I just can't understand what I should do with it." I've even received "how to use" lifestyle tips from well meaning "converts". I'm sorry, but this heathen values his silences too much to frivolously destroy them with cruddy MP3s.

Therefore, now is the time for action. I have put it away, in its original packaging ("doesn't work in the drawer!"), and I will leave it there; if I haven't used it in the next few months, I'll find someone who can.

I feel the curse lifting already.

Bill Gates is still the devil.

By Professor Batty


4 Comments:

Blogger RS said...

I have one of those, but feel for it much more kindly than you do.

Although the whole *design* madness eludes me. I mean yes, sleek, sophisticated, minimalistic, so WHAT?


Blogger Móðir, kona, meyja said...

Pink! I'm sure you would feel different if you had a pink one...

:-D


Blogger Professor Batty said...

Reshma- Actually I'm kind of intrigued by the iPhone, if works as well as they say it will, it may really be a new design breakthrough, a tabla rasa which can do anything, with none of this qwerty nonsense...

Kristín- Pink! Of course, that's the answer! Now let me think, where else have I seen that color used effectively?


Blogger Jen Picken said...

I know of a wonderful niece of yours who would love a nice present for her 20th birthday in April. Maybe we can work something out....

Post a Comment

                                                                                     All original Flippism is the Key content copyright Stephen Charles Cowdery, 2004-2023