Thursday, February 01, 2007

Weasel Words

Feeling a bit masochistic, I ventured into the health and fitness club near my work-place. I was only interested in swimming, I thought it might be a better way to spend my lunch break than ingesting fast food. The salesman (customer representative) was eager to show me around (after signing a wavier!) but I convinced him that I was only interested in a swim package.

"Well I could sell you a basic package, but why don't you go for the next higher package, the joining fee is on sale this month, and I can switch you to the other plan later. You can see on this map where the premium package would let you go to these other clubs..."

He held up a map of the western hemisphere. I told him, "no, all I want to do is swim on my lunch break."

"What is your zip code? Maybe we have a special on your area?"

"This is my area."

"How about health insurance? We could get a rebate from your health plan..."

Dealing with my health plan on any level is worse than a disease.

We went back and forth like this. He had mentioned that he could "get me a price" on the membership. He had nothing printed with any pricing.

"Ah, I'll have to think about it..."

So I left. I don't deal with weasels and their weaselly ways. Give me a price list, not a wavier. It's not that hard of a concept.

By Professor Batty


3 Comments:

Blogger Sharon Spotbottom said...

Walking is free and good for the soul.


Blogger Móðir, kona, meyja said...

You live in the wrong country, mate. No one would stand in your way if you wanted to spend your lunch hour swimming here, and you can pay for separate swim sessions if you want to...

'Ísland, best í heimi!'


Blogger Professor Batty said...

... one of the many reasons to return to Iceland, a civilized country...

Post a Comment

                                                                                     All original Flippism is the Key content copyright Stephen Charles Cowdery, 2004-2023