Sunday, July 15, 2007

Ichiro, Rem and Arnaldur

Sunday found us in center of the city for some sightseeing and a Seattle Mariners baseball game. We parked near Pioneer square and visited a "Gold Rush" museum where I spotted this pair of glorious boots from the "Gay Nineties" (more food for thought for my trans-gender studies.) We went on to the game where we watched Ichiro Suzuki, who had just signed a $90 million contract the day before- which works out to over $100,000 per game over the next 5 years. One fellow who made considerably less per game at least still retained some poetic aspirations:


After the game we stopped briefly at the new Seattle Public Library, a Rem Koolhaus design, which was full of vertigous surprises:




Spending the evening in our rooms at the B&B, I managed to finish my summer novel Silence of the Grave (Grafarþögn), a detective mystery by the Icelandic author Arnaldur Indriðason, to whom I was introduced by blogger Kristín while in Iceland last fall. Of particular interest to me was the plot element involving the U.S. occupation of Iceland during and just after World War II. This intriguing bit of history has shown up in my reading before, with mentions of its aftermath even showing up in blogs (the U.S. military presence in Iceland ended just last year!)

By Professor Batty


3 Comments:

Blogger Móðir, kona, meyja said...

There now is a film after that book. Apparently it's rather good.

Must. Have. Those. Shoes.


Blogger Comica said...

Gay-Nineties as in 1890's?
I second Kristin. I'll even throw in the materialist zombie walk because the boots are worth it.


Blogger Darien Fisher-Duke said...

If you're as cheap as I am, you're awaiting Voices by Indriðason in paperback, Sept. 25, 2007). Cheap except when it comes to shoes---but sorry, Kristín and Comica, sadly my style only extends to Danskos. Sometimes I like to drool though.

Post a Comment

                                                                                     All original Flippism is the Key content copyright Stephen Charles Cowdery, 2004-2023