Wednesday, October 17, 2007

I wish I was here...



Today marks the beginning of Iceland Airwaves, and I must admit that I long to be going back. Even the worst acts last year had some memorable quirks, and the good ones were simply outstanding. The venues were inviting, the people were great, even the weather was fantastic.

I tried to rationalize my desires away:

You are too old (Another gray hair won't make a difference...)

It's too expensive (35 full sets of music and five days in Iceland for about a grand... that really isn't too bad...)

The bands aren't as good this year (no Apparat Organ Quartet, but múm will be playing...)

Nothing with replace the "first time" (virginity is overrated?)

I thought I had quenched my desires, but then came the heart-breaker:

Saturday night.

Fríkirkjan.

Amiina.



I've written about Amiina before, and to be able to see them in this charming 19th century church by the pond might be just too much for this old heart to bear. The Jóhann Jóhannsson concert there last year was extremely inspirational; these women weave a magical spell that could only be enhanced by the setting. Here's hoping that it will be recorded for posterity in some form. Maybe, if they play again next year, I'll be able to catch the Airwaves, this time bringing the Weaver with me!

UPDATE: Amiina at Fríkirkjan video.

By Professor Batty


4 Comments:

Blogger Darien Fisher-Duke said...

Let's hope that fate allows all of us "expats" a chance to return to Iceland soon. It's always great to have a dream, isn't it. I keep hoping that one of the IcelandAir contests will work out for me


Blogger Professor Batty said...

... just finished re-reading The Fish Can Sing, which takes place in roughly the same area as the satellite picture above... the yearnings are especially strong right now...


Blogger Móðir, kona, meyja said...

Beaver flicks? Virginity?

I thought this was a decent, family friendly blog!


Blogger Professor Batty said...

... er, um, it's just that when you are gone, I lose my moral compass...

Post a Comment

                                                                                     All original Flippism is the Key content copyright Stephen Charles Cowdery, 2004-2023