Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Driver in the Dark

After the time change (the legislature does this so that it can feel that it is above the laws of physics) back from Daylight Savings, my drive home is usually in the dark. It doesn't bother me much, as long as the other vehicles are lit, it is actually easier to drive—the white lines and reflective signs define the road—and there are less distractions. Sometimes, when I know the highway is backed up, I'll take the back roads, they are slower, but more reliable- 30 minutes versus what can take an hour or more if there is a traffic jam (or crash) on the main road.

I was taking the back road the other evening, making my way home after a pointless day at work spent fighting machines (I always win, but it isn't easy.) I had stopped at a light, my thoughts were directed toward finding a piece of paper with an address on it which I thought I had left on the seat next to me and I couldn't find in all the clutter- I don't really drive a trash car, but it definitely needs some cleaning. There were large trucks all around me, the light was still red, and in my distracted state realized that I had no idea of where I was! Was it 65th? or 77th? or 85th? Or was I in Champlain already? Why weren't we moving? Why aren't there any houses or buildings? Looking around, I saw no landmarks over the truck bodies around me. Finally the light turned, traffic thinned out, and my location was reestablished.

A metaphor for my life? Driving in the dark, not knowing where I am, why I am here, and what my destination is- just routine, routine, routine, keep going and you'll get somewhere, wherever that may be.

By Professor Batty


3 Comments:

Blogger Móðir, kona, meyja said...

A metaphor for life rather - not just your life.


Blogger Sharon Spotbottom said...

Aint it always a metaphor for life...in spite of living it. HA.


Blogger Professor Batty said...

... and the joke is on me.

Post a Comment

                                                                                     All original Flippism is the Key content copyright Stephen Charles Cowdery, 2004-2023