Monday, November 12, 2007

Voices


The third Inspector Erlendur book, Voices, by Arnaldur Indriðason, is billed as a thriller, but is really a subtle, layered psychological novel. This is the third in a series (the other English titles: Jar City, Silence of the Grave) of Icelandic mysteries, Erlendur is called to investigate a murder in a posh Reykjavík hotel, he decides to stay there for the investigation, not wanting to go home to his "empty hole" of an apartment during the Christmas season. By restricting his main character to one location, Arnauldur forces us to go inward with Erlendur, as he confronts his own past, as he explores the motivations of the murder, and reveals the background of the victim.

Arnaldur Indriðason is getting better with each book in the series, this book lacks the broader Icelandic settings of the others, but probes the Inspector's internal landscape deeper. This is a great series, and I am looking forward to many more.

By Professor Batty


9 Comments:

Blogger Móðir, kona, meyja said...

I love his writing. Got to get that one.


Blogger Professor Batty said...

... so many books, so little time...


Blogger Darien Fisher-Duke said...

I can't wait to read this one, and Draining Lake. I thought his second book better than his first, and am anticipating more character development with each new one. Both are on my Christmas list! But first to finish Salka Valka...


Blogger Professor Batty said...

rose- December 10th is not so far away now, is it? I'm about half done with my Laxness rankings post but I'm not going to read The Happy Warriors- I thought Salka was pricey, but I can't find Warriors for less than $250!!!


Blogger Darien Fisher-Duke said...

You'll probably have read a few more than me. I haven't even started Atom Station yet. But Thanksgiving is coming up, and I'll have 4 1/2 days off (schools do have employment advantages)!


Blogger Mary said...

I just read Voices - a really good story and the writing and translation are top notch. I figured you might have blogged about it, so here’s my comment almost 15 years later.


Blogger Professor Batty said...

Mary - time means nothing on FITK! This might be the best of the Erlendur books, There is an excellent movie of Jar City.

I have the latest Elly Griffiths Ruth Galloway coming tomorrow, The Locked Room, have you read it?


Blogger Mary said...

I have The Locked Room on hold request at the library. Hard to wait!!!!!


Blogger Professor Batty said...

I just started it, it's like visiting old friends.

Post a Comment

                                                                                     All original Flippism is the Key content copyright Stephen Charles Cowdery, 2004-2023