Monday, December 31, 2007

Humored

The holiday season for many is stressful and anxiety producing. I've found that as get older, I just use it for an opportunity to relax, I'm not required to perform (outside of preparing a meal occasionally), the kids are grown out of the "Presents-Frenzy" stage, and my needs are few. Saturday the Weaver even consented to play a game of Monopoly™ with me, a definite regression on my part to those idle hours wasted in my youth when I should have been studying calculus. She humored me by letting me win. Sunday was spent at the Art Institute, where there were several excellent textile exhibits (my favorite were the Indian veils and saris) This was followed by a leisurely lunch (With wine! Most civilized!) and then a few hours in the Magers and Quinn bookstore in the Uptown area of Minneapolis (I was looking for Mysteries by Knut Hamsen, but no luck.) At home, we relaxed even more, with a trashy movie (the Banger Sisters) and then a game of Scrabble™ (she didn't let me win this time.)

Tonight will see us hosting a birthday/birthday/New Year's party for two of my sisters ... definitely low key. I will have to help clean the house (they'll give it the "white glove test") but it wasn't too bad to begin with.

So happy New Year, everyone! If what I've written here has brightened your day upon occasion then my efforts have not been in vain. You have surely brightened mine.

By Professor Batty


4 Comments:

Blogger Móðir, kona, meyja said...

Your sisters sound like my mother.

Happy New Year.


Blogger Jen Picken said...

Now now, I must object. Being one of these sisters I will be the first to admit, our wonderful brother's house has been and always will be cleaner than either of ours ever was or ever could be. We are too busy being bossy to ever have enough time to waste on such nonsense as cleaning!


Blogger Darien Fisher-Duke said...

It makes me relaxed just to hear about your relaxing day!
Your book is in the mail--should arrive in a few days. I enjoyed your Salka Valka review--I finally got to read it when I finished mine. It's fun to see what someone else thinks of a book I've read, and reviewing a book gives you a lot more opportunity to think about the book too.
Here's to many more good books in 2008, and maybe some long-awaited translations?


Blogger Móðir, kona, meyja said...

And Knut Hamsun is overrated, I think.

Post a Comment

                                                                                     All original Flippism is the Key content copyright Stephen Charles Cowdery, 2004-2023