Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Love on the Rocks














And sometimes all the kings horses and all the kings men can't
put it back together again. And then all of your genes start
crying at the same time, but didn't they start it all?
You'll make it alright and there's no sense in weeping.
Get up from that couch and start anew. Or at least start a pot
of coffee. Better stay away from that liquor cabinet though.
It would be so easy to slip into sweet oblivion, but you'd
only wake up tomorrow in a situation that was exactly the same,
except for the hangover. Just put on a little sad music, let
Julie London say it for you:
Love like red wine must have time to age
It mellows in flavor with each passing stage
But even the best of a vintage goes bad
And whether its wine or love that's sad
I won't answer love the next time it knocks
I've had my fill of love on the rocks

A jigger of lying garnished with fights
Some bitters for crying long unhappy nights
A dash of lost dreams then stir with regret
Shake well and pour then drink and forget

A teaspoon of teardrops, seemed like a phase
But I cried too many long unhappy days
Good riddance to love it's too much to bear
After this drink I won't even care

Love on the rocks time to get high
I'll drink to love here's love in your eye
Pop goes the bubble make it a double
This is my last toast to love on the rocks

~Forest and Hughes, Love on the Rocks

By Professor Batty


2 Comments:

Blogger lab munkay said...

Man I'm so glad I pulled the blanket over my face so no one knows thats me!


Blogger Professor Batty said...

... I told you that I'd sleep on the couch!

Post a Comment

                                                                                     All original Flippism is the Key content copyright Stephen Charles Cowdery, 2004-2023