Thursday, November 27, 2008

Another Sort of Thanksgiving

More than five years on, the feral cat colony still abides along the river. My pal Buster rules, taking the lion's share of my sardines and tuna. He knows me well, that grizzled ex-tom. If I just visit and sit down, he'll come up and start bumping my hand with his head. After the fish is gone, he'll saunter back to me, presenting his shoulders and haunches as if to say: "Let's see those fingers work!"

And I comply, with gentle kneading, he stands still and takes it for as long as I'd care to give it. A few of the other cats look on, curious, but with a lack of comprehension of this display of symbiotic pleasure. Buster understands.

Today, before our family dinner, I'll again take the walk over to the river and treat Buster and his pals. They are thankful for their lives of freedom, as I am thankful to be allowed into their lives for a short while.

UPDATE:

And a splendid time was had by all.

By Professor Batty


6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that post.
We had a 'colony' of feral cats behind the house for a long time. My lovely neighbour ( who was a very tough forester) made them a shelter of boxes with a corrugated iron roof and fed them every day. They increased and multiplied and eventually we had to get the RSPCA to come and take them away.
We called the shelter 'the corporation flats', I suppose it's called social housing these days.
They were beautiful and wild, no touching.


Blogger Professor Batty said...

These cats have all been neutered and get a medical once a year; they have small houses as well. Only one cat, "Buster", is approachable, I've interacted with him since he was a yearling, the others maintain their distance. If you "Search this blog" for feral cats, you will find several other posts about them.


Blogger Annie said...

Happy thanksgiving Batty xxx


Blogger Darien Fisher-Duke said...

So, does Animal Ark provide their medical care? Pay for it? How do they get them to the vet, and what is the housing like? Is the idea to keep neutering them until they are no more (well duh, never mind that ?).
Have a Happy.


Blogger Professor Batty said...

Annie~ glad to see they let you blog from jail!

Rose~ They trap them all, hold them in a nearby building, then have a team of vets "do their thing". The population has been stable for many years, so they only have to neuter one or two a year. They raise money by donations and have volunteers- they have media events every year.


Blogger lab munkay said...

When I retire and find myself the perfect ratty bathrobe that is where I'm gonna start my crazy cat lady phase. You know how I love the kitty babies.
Happy Thanks BatMan.

Post a Comment

                                                                                     All original Flippism is the Key content copyright Stephen Charles Cowdery, 2004-2023