Friday, November 21, 2008

I Am Curious (Yellow and Blue) Part 5

Home

Of course, what IKEA© is really all about is the concept of “home.” Indeed, it is hard to imagine a home without some sort of furnishings, even a beggar must have his bowl. The first such example of a completely furnished home I ran across was this cozy “pad” for two:

Everything in its proper place, all one could desire for a fulfilling modern lifestyle.

I was really intrigued- the Weaver and I could start all over in a place such as this.

We could ship our space-consuming hobbies to a proper studio.

What ever didn’t fit, we could give away.










I was so charmed that I could almost
picture myself at the stylish sink:














The second example was of a smaller place, a place for one. The woman who owned the place looked proud and elated in the picture. I thought that she might have just gone through a bitter divorce, and she finally had a place of her own, a place that was hers, no compromises. “It may be compact, but it is more spacious than you can imagine. It's my 409 sq. ft. home.” The math leaves the guy in the first home with only 183 sq. ft. of floor space.

No wonder it didn't work out.

I thought about what it would be like if I had to live on my own (a very sad thought, to be sure) in a place smaller than my garage. Maybe I could live above my garage. I would have to keep things tidy. Only seven shirts, seven parts of pants, two suits and fourteen pairs of socks. A four piece place setting, a few utensils, some books and a couple of framed prints.


A little while later I went back and saw that the woman who lived there was in, sitting on her sofa.

She looked a bit lonely as she gazed at her cell phone; was she hoping that someone would call?

I was shy and too embarrassed to say hello because I had been in both her bedroom and her bathroom when she was away.


On the way out I bought some real Swedish treats for my home.




Yum. Cloudberries.
















The jury is still out on the Julmust.

By Professor Batty


12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What would I do with my piles of clutter in such a place? It all seems a bit unrealistic, but I must not be their target audience.


Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very good set of posts on Ikea.
The great piles of dog hair that our lad sheds would soon spoil Ikea's pristine loveliness!


Blogger Professor Batty said...

Jon~ It does seem that we are defined by our clutter, doesn't it?

Mary~ Thank you. I didn't want to give the impression that I disliked Ikea, just that I found that some things about it were really most peculiar, even for a Batty Professor...


Anonymous Anonymous said...

And what is Julmust?
And I hate Ikea!


Blogger Professor Batty said...

Mary~ Julmust is a Swedish carbonated
beverage that has a flavor akin to a blueberry flavored Coca~Cola.

And Mary, when are you starting your blog? It's time. Every intriguing woman I've ever met has usually had an even more fascinating mother.

;-)


Blogger Móðir, kona, meyja said...

You flirt!


Anonymous Anonymous said...

Batty! Have you no shame?? I know I don't have much!


Anonymous Anonymous said...

Come on now lads! The Prof was being charming!


Blogger Professor Batty said...

... Oh dear, I hope I haven't started an international incident...


Blogger Móðir, kona, meyja said...

...and I'm not a lad...


Blogger Móðir, kona, meyja said...

It might interest you to know that I did indeed venture out to IKEA today, out of sheer necessity. It was considerably less of a nightmare than usual, which may have something to do with the absence of husband and children...the lesson learned being never go to IKEA with the family, unless you've got strong tranquillizers at hand...


Anonymous Anonymous said...

Batty,I believe you started an International chuckle. We could all use one about now. Good timing!

Post a Comment

                                                                                     All original Flippism is the Key content copyright Stephen Charles Cowdery, 2004-2023