Friday, March 27, 2009

Night in the City



It is never really dark at night in the city. Even my small town is more or less illuminated 24/7 by street lights and the diffuse glow from nearby businesses and parking lots. Walking through the house after everyone has gone to bed, I seldom need to turn on a light. Some parts of the house take on an enchanted aspect. I sometimes just sit in the dark gazing at a window and, as my eyes adapt, details hitherto unnoticed become visible while indistinct shadows form suggestive shapes. The refrigerator whirs while the low moan from a freight train is heard in the distance. When I get a little chilled I head back to bed with a sense that everything will be all right.

By Professor Batty


1 Comments:

Blogger Darien Fisher-Duke said...

It appears that part of the reason you can enjoy this is that you have curtains that let the outside in, instead of keeping it out.

Post a Comment

                                                                                     All original Flippism is the Key content copyright Stephen Charles Cowdery, 2004-2023