Thursday, March 19, 2009

Venus



My sense of iconography has been in a bit of
a jumble as of late. It was much easier when
I was younger. Marilyn Monroe, bless her heart,
made it simple. That she paid a very steep price
for her "creation" is a topic worthy of discussion,
but not from me, at least not today. There's just
so much to choose from now. Bombarded in the
media with images of promised physical delights,
intended to sell products of course, but
nevertheless those images are still emotionally
evocative, even if only on a sub-conscious level.
I should be out of that loop anyway, for my
reproductive years are far (and permanently!)
behind me.

Still, these deaf ears can still hear the siren's
seductive song, perhaps not as distinctly, but
the melody remains clear. A cruel trick of biology,
or is it that we, as a species, have learned to
prolong our vitality so long that it causes this
not completely unpleasant disassociation between
need and desire. I know that it is just a trick,
nevertheless it remains a good one.

By Professor Batty


2 Comments:

Blogger Móðir, kona, meyja said...

I need those earrings...


Blogger Professor Batty said...

Pike's Place Market Antiques, Seattle, I'll meet you there...

Post a Comment

                                                                                     All original Flippism is the Key content copyright Stephen Charles Cowdery, 2004-2023