Wednesday, March 04, 2009

The Wily Walleye


Kim Kessler and friend, 2007

Wherein the professor declares his love for a fish.

The Upper Midwest and Central Canada is the locus of the Walleyed Pike cult.
Sander Vitreus, its scientific name, gives no indication of its revered status on the northern plains. This is not an exciting fish to catch, when hooked it allows itself to be reeled in with a minimum of fighting, indeed, many a Walleye has been thought to have been a snag. Where it excels is in the kitchen.

Light, flaky, fresh-tasting with minimal bones when properly filleted, it is a perfect vehicle for any artistic chef who possesses a mastery of subtle seasoning. I had Walleye tonight, in a local restaurant, it was a perfect antidote to the late winter blahs. Tomorrow the weather here will be in the forties, and in May I'll be able to legally take the Minnesota state fish and savor its goodness without an intermediary.

By Professor Batty


2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! Who caught THAT one?? Its way bigger than the one on my wall.


Blogger lab munkay said...

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/set/walleye.html

This is the nearest big town where I grew up. Every time I took my boys to visit Gramma we would stop and pet Willie. I told them I caught him.

Post a Comment

                                                                                     All original Flippism is the Key content copyright Stephen Charles Cowdery, 2004-2023