Friday, June 05, 2009

Cocktail Party Banter



The party was already underway. Small talk. Someone, I didn't catch the name or connection, was being the picaresque sailor and spilling yarns of his daring-do.
For some reason, he zeroed in on me, peppering me with questions about various dangerous water sports. "Well, I do enjoy canoeing" I sputtered.
He seemed offended. "You've got to try kayaking, you get two people in a kayak, its like a canoe on steroids! You take it out on Superior, you can really go fast..."

Some people make even the most tranquil activity into a challenge, I guess. They even have fishing tournaments! Canoeing, for me at least, is a way to escape frantic activity. Put in on a gentle river and you won't even have to paddle much! So next month, up on the edge of the BWCAW, I'll be out on my little canoe, and not on steroids thank you very much, letting the world pass me by for a change...

By Professor Batty


2 Comments:

Anonymous Jon said...

Say "Hi" to Ted and Barb. They were our closest neighbors for ten years. Ted was a community organizer in Chicago back in the day. He's got some great stories. Barb puts up with him.


Blogger Professor Batty said...

I'll do that, we've gone up there several times, very comfortable set-up.

Post a Comment

                                                                                     All original Flippism is the Key content copyright Stephen Charles Cowdery, 2004-2023