Wednesday, June 17, 2009

NO BLOG FOR YOU!



I recently ordered a pair of tickets online to see one of my favorite Icelandic music acts. When I printed them out on the third page was the above disclaimer. I'm no lawyer, but some of this legalese seemed pretty anal-retentive, and even counter-productive.

The first line, about scalping, is pretty routine. Not that it will stop any of it. The second line is laughable. Is there any way that disclaimer could hold up in court? Hint: think Rhode Island nightclub fire.

"No alcohol, drugs or weapons." I guess I'll forgo my Claritin™ that day, and I can live without booze, but jeez! You can get a drink at the symphony! No weapons is always a good idea in a crowded theater.

"No recording devices, still cameras or video cameras..." This is a pretty common
restriction, although the advent of cellphones with decent cameras on them kind of renders this a moot point. When I saw Amiina a few years ago, they announced that pictures were OK during the first three songs. My pictures of that event have been viewed on Flickr over a thousand times- what artist wouldn't want that kind of free exposure?

"No... ...transmitting any description, account, picture, or reproduction of the event." So now it appears that I'm not allowed to even talk about the show? Great way for an act to build word-of-mouth. The ticket Nazi says: "NO BLOG FOR YOU!"

And of course they can search you, and use your likeness. But you'd better not enjoy the show too much, or it's out in the street with your disorderly conduct.

Maybe I'll just stay home and listen to the CD.

Or go to church, and ponder my sinful desires.

By Professor Batty


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

                                                                                     All original Flippism is the Key content copyright Stephen Charles Cowdery, 2004-2023