Tuesday, July 14, 2009

How I Spent My Summer Vacation - Part II

Wilderness log- day 2, Poplar Creek, near the Gunflint Trail



I put in a small creek, just west of the Lima Grade Road. My small canoe could barely float in the shallow stream, I was hugging the shore at times, going from side to side, wherever the water flow was the greatest. A few hundred yards upstream I came to a small beaver dam. I knew then that my navigation woes were over. Stepping on top of the dam, I quickly pulled my craft over and began paddling up a much deeper stream, which widened into a beautiful bay:



There were families of ducks and, on the boulders which punctuated the water's surface, painted turtles were sunning themselves. This pleasant area soon gave way to a narrower stream, going for perhaps two miles, until another, much larger beaver dam blocked my way- for only a minute. Over I went into the wind-whipped waters of Lace Lake where a solitary dock meant I had left the wilderness, in a few days time, I'd be back in The Lost Forest, with a pipe in hand, my faithful dog Andy at my side, and Cherry in arms...

MARK TRAIL

By Professor Batty


4 Comments:

Blogger Darien Fisher-Duke said...

Now there is a truly lovely picture, worth framing.
In the second picture am I seeing the ravages of the '99 windstorm?


Blogger Professor Batty said...

There was some blow down here, but nothing like the worst areas. The panoramic view makes the trees look smaller than they are with the lake in front of them.


Blogger Boundary Waters Blog Lady said...

Great photo! I live on the Gunflint Trail and I've never paddled that creek, thanks for sharing.

Boundary Waters Blog Lady
http://www.boundarywatersblog.com


Blogger Professor Batty said...

BWBL ~ It is easier to put in at the Fire Dept. dock on Lace Lake - I don't think a regular canoe can float at the Lima Grade Road put-in

Post a Comment

                                                                                     All original Flippism is the Key content copyright Stephen Charles Cowdery, 2004-2023