Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Guilty Pleasure

Summer reading is, by definition, different from "serious reading" or whatever you may call the reading you do on the other 274 days of the year. Having already dispensed with my labor day chores, I found myself with an entire afternoon to descend into the morass of depravity otherwise known as a Carl Hiaasen novel. I had already read Sick Puppy (2000), and Skinny Dip (2004), so I knew exactly what mix I was getting into: bad men and licentious women in a ridiculous plot sprinkled with sporadic violence and gratuitous sex- all set in the sleazier side of South Florida. Perfect for the last day of summer.

Actually, in this, Hiaasen's 11th novel, the routine is pretty much set in stone (or is that coral?) but the result is still enjoyable. A description of the story is completely unnecessary- this is a YARN, not literature- but I found it most entertaining, in a cheap-thrills sort of way.

By Professor Batty


3 Comments:

Blogger Shoshanah Marohn said...

That's why I read Raymond Chandler novels, too. Who says you have to think deeply all the time?


Anonymous mary said...

I read one once and keep meaning to read some more. He is entertaining. And he's not a bad writer as writers go.


Blogger Professor Batty said...

Perfect for a long flight or a rainy day stuck in a motel room. Sort of the literary equivalent of eating potato chips, but not so fattening (although just as greasy!)

Post a Comment

                                                                                     All original Flippism is the Key content copyright Stephen Charles Cowdery, 2004-2023