Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Unfinished Stories

One of the defining characteristics of a blog is its capacity for two-way communication (or three-way, or more.) Blogs without comments are web sites, not that that is a bad thing, it's just a different thing. Another characteristic is that a blog tells a story, but unlike a regular short story or novel these kinds of stories are open-ended and unfinished. From time to time, I get people dropping in to read my older posts, directed there by a search engine or a link published elsewhere.

This last week I had two such visitors, one was a woman who was looking for information about a most unique house. It turns out that she had actually lived in it as a child, she set me straight as to some technical details about the house's construction and brought the story up-to date. The other was a woman looking for information about a relative, a woman who was a teacher of mine. I gave her a call, and we both got a another chapter or two on this unfinished story which we unknowingly had in common.

By Professor Batty


1 Comments:

Blogger Darien Fisher-Duke said...

Just wanted to say, Batty, that I've been having a little conversation with Harpa using Google Translator, and it works pretty well! In fact, I'm amazed. I wish I'd remembered to give you credit for my discovering it when I chatted with her. Perhaps you'll forgive me.

Post a Comment

                                                                                     All original Flippism is the Key content copyright Stephen Charles Cowdery, 2004-2023