Thursday, December 31, 2009

The Decade of the Awful Aughts

Excepting one thing, the last decade will not be fondly remembered by many people. Some truths became more self-evident: selfish greed blew up in our faces, just like we knew it would. War and strife has become the norm, with little or no justification other than... selfish greed? Politics, always questionable at best, has just become ineffectual, any change is thwarted by... selfish greed?

But one trend of the "Awful Aughts" which actually was positive was the rise of personal, international blogging. If there is anything thing on the internet with potential to redeem us, it is this ability of people all around the world to directly communicate with each other. Thinking back to the 90's, the internet was a crude and sometimes even hostile place. "Bulletin Boards" and Forums existed, but were limited in scope. The existence of free, world-wide, communication hadn't really taken off then. Now, this humble blog gets regular visitors from around the world. Some of that attention is puzzling: who is it in Guayaquil, Ecuador, that keeps dropping in? (please leave a comment!) Or the person in Greece who searches for "The Flippism is the Key Blog" again and again? Lately, in what I take as a very good omen, several different people from China have have ended up here after googling lines from the Halldór Laxness novel Salka Valka!

The toughest thing for me has been the recent Iceland situation. Since the very beginning, FITK has had an Icelandic component, I've written about it more than any other subject, sharing my enthusiasms for the place and its culture, and finding many "kindred spirits" who have joined me along the way (Rose! Jon! Cellar! Mary! Annie! Auður! Wim! Heiða! Kristín! Alda!) sharing their experiences as well as living mine vicariously. Iceland was an escape for me as well, both figuratively and literally. Now, Iceland is suffering, and things look as if they are only going to get much worse. It's as if a loved one had contracted a horrible disease, and there is nothing one can do but watch. Here's hoping that things get better there in the next decade.

I've had a lot of fun here in the last six years, those of you who have put up with my occasional whimsy and poetry(?!), I thank you. Those of you bloggers who, through your own blogs, have widened my outlook, I cannot thank enough (Comica, Reshma, Munkay, Tykho, Mitsui, Caroline, Some Chilean Woman, and many, many more.) To those of you who have "retired", I understand completely. I have some other projects coming up, any one of which might mean I would take a little different approach to FITK in the coming year (decade?) I'll still be posting, but perhaps not on such a regular schedule.

Today I received an email from Karen Heathwood, the creator of Sharon Spotbottom, one of the most inspirational blogs I've ever seen. It is a Christmas card, expressing joy in a way I wish I could:



Play on! More music! Life is for the living, so we should act accordingly. Our lives are compromised in so many ways that we should be grateful for this outlet for expression, a good thing that came into its own in spite of the "Awful Aughts."

See you next year!

By Professor Batty


6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Everything passes, happiness, sadness, wealth, poverty, disease, years, everything happens..ou and the time that does not forgive u, live is the mission of all live and know that is all that is happening in the life, have a happy new year and lives.

PD: I´m who comes Guayaquil, Ecuador


Blogger Professor Batty said...

Thanks for stopping by, I'm glad you've found something of interest at Flippism Is The Key. Don't be shy about commenting, Español es bien.


Blogger Heiða said...

Happy new year Professor, and thanks for the aquaintence in 2009. Hope to see you this year again and also hope the year 2010 will bring happiness to us all, icelandic and none.


Blogger Professor Batty said...

Heiða ~ Airwaves was quite the trip! Here's to you for making 12 Tonar your "hangover shack" in order to show some hospitality to a phony professor from Minnesota!


Blogger Comica said...

If it weren't for you, I wouldn't have added Iceland to the top of my "Must Visit" list.

I also wouldn't keep coming back to blogging. Here's to a new decade! :)


Blogger Professor Batty said...

If it weren't for you, I wouldn't have added Richmond to the top of my "Must Visit" list.

I also might not have committed to blogging when starting out.

Funny how things can interact.

Here's to a new decade! :)

Post a Comment

                                                                                     All original Flippism is the Key content copyright Stephen Charles Cowdery, 2004-2023