Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Ganga, Ekki Hlaupa


Perlan, Hringbraut, Reykjavík, 2009

When I walk, scenes which would be a blur in a car, or not even noticed at all, are made manifest. When did our basic mode of transportation become a luxury to be cherished? Whenever I've mentioned my trips to Iceland, people ask me "Do you have relatives there?" (No, I go for a vaction!) And then when I mention that I've spent weeks, without a car, within a radius of less than 2 kilometer from my apartment, people say "Don't you get bored? What is there to do? What is there to see?"

Walk, don't run.

You'll find out.

By Professor Batty


5 Comments:

Blogger Heiða said...

Love this message to us all! I'm taking it right in.


Blogger Shoshanah Marohn said...

We used to play this game, when I was a teenager, my boyfriend and I. We would walk downtown to the first stoplight. Then, whichever way the light was green, we would go that way, and walk to the next stoplight. And go whichever way was green. And so on. Fate determined our destination.

It was fun!


Blogger Professor Batty said...

Heiða ~ And I know that you've walked this street as well...

Cellar ~ Sounds like Flippism to me, except using stop lights instead of coin tosses...


Blogger ECS said...

I run past that spot at least once a week and I think it's actually pretty nice to be running there.

maybe the motto really is "ekki keyra"? :)


Blogger Professor Batty said...

ECS ~ Actually, I was out biking when I shot this picture, so I guess my post's premise was faulty!

Post a Comment

                                                                                     All original Flippism is the Key content copyright Stephen Charles Cowdery, 2004-2023