Thursday, September 02, 2010

Missed Opportunity



Santa Claus Town, Minnesota, 1953

A child's mind will retain things in unequal measure. Multiplication tables and confirmation lessons- not so well. Cheezy roadside attractions- perfectly. Running across these snaps of a short-lived tourist trap which used to exist outside of my town, I was transported to a childhood state of despair, tinged with hope. I kept waiting for my dad to stop at Santa Claus Town. I hoped that someday I'd be allowed into its hallowed confines, a place where all dreams can come true, and it is Christmas every day of the year.



From the looks of Santa's house, I think Halloween was thrown in too, just to insure that it was the mostest, bestest place for kids in the whole wide world.

I missed that opportunity, how have I been able go on living without it?

By Professor Batty


5 Comments:

Blogger lab munkay said...

No worries baby. You just have to go farther. http://www.santatelevision.com/


Blogger Some Chilean Woman said...

My eyes went straight to the people and their clothes, then I realized it's not a modern day photo! How awesome!


Blogger Heiða said...

you know about the santa museum up north, in Akureyri I think? Jólaþorpið or something. Never went, but a must for the Yule-o-phile.


Anonymous Andy said...

Professor, your treasure trove of the past never fail to amaze me!
A couple of months ago I drove down Hwy 10 for the first time in years and lo and behold... Santa's house is still there! I too was shot back in time, but sadly, nothing remains to hint at it's former glory. The neighboring restaurant with the lighthouse; the giant log across the road... missing! All lost in a sea of RV lots and urban blight! Sigh...


Blogger Professor Batty said...

I've actually seen movie film of this place, it was truly mind-boggling. I'll see if I can find it and transfer it to video. Some of the statuary is still in the metro area, I've seen recent pictures of that as well, but I don't know where they were taken. I've added a higher-res version of the photos to the post for your viewing enjoyment.

Post a Comment

                                                                                     All original Flippism is the Key content copyright Stephen Charles Cowdery, 2004-2023