Thursday, December 09, 2010

30 Years Ago

I remember exactly where I was when I heard that John Lennon had been murdered.

I had been helping a band set up for a Monday night gig at William's Pub in the Uptown area of Minneapolis. It was a blues band; they didn't know any Beatles songs so they played a Chuck Berry tune to honor John instead. The few people who were in the back room where the band played drifted out slowly. Nobody had anything to say. It was too awful, stupid and pointless.

And so we lost a guiding light, a complex and sometimes confusing figure, but someone who always let you know what he felt. Many of us still feel his loss. A greater loss was the loss felt by a little boy who lost his father and a woman who lost her man; a family torn apart for nothing.



Photo: Yoko Ono

By Professor Batty


6 Comments:

Blogger Heiða said...

I was 9 years old, and my father came home from work and told me Lennon had died. I was a huge fan already, probably because of my father, so we lit a candle besides a picture of him in our living-room. It is the only "famous" person I remember actually feeling very upset about dying. Don't remember anything about the day Elvis died (not a fan), nor Kurt Kobain (not a fan) and I think I only knew the day after Michael Jackson died (not a fan)......


Anonymous Jon said...

I remember KQ playing the Beatles from A to Z shortly thereafter. Its all on cassette. I lived about 4 blocks south of Williams Pub at the time and it was our bar of choice.


Blogger Professor Batty said...

Heida ~ I remember Elvis (I was in an ice cream shop) but not Kurt of Michael. I wasn't a fan of the grown-up Michael but I liked the Jackson Five, and performed I Want You Back on many occasions. The closest I ever got to Kurt was watching Ditka play in Gaukurinn

;-)


Jon ~ I had three girlfriends (not at the same time!) who lived within a block of where you lived. None of them were into Lennon.


Blogger Shoshanah Marohn said...

I was six years old, and I walked into the living room from the kitchen. It's still clear as a picture in my mind. My dad was watching tv and he looked completely stricken. He said, "John Lennon is dead." It's my first memory of a world event or tragedy.


Blogger Mary said...

I remember Lennon's passing - I was listening to a San Francisco country radio station and knew something strange was up when they suddenly began to play Beatles songs.

I definitely remember when Kurt Cobain died - my kids were great Nirvana fans and my then 11-year-old son asked me "Mom, why did Kurt kill himself?" They don't cover that in Dr. Spock.


Blogger Professor Batty said...

Cellar ~ A lot of musicians I know took it very hard, almost personally.

Mary ~ Our boys were very quiet when Kurt died.

Post a Comment

                                                                                     All original Flippism is the Key content copyright Stephen Charles Cowdery, 2004-2023